Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 30, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: And Life Comes Back

To read And Life Comes Back, by Tricia Lott Williford, is to hurt and heal at the same time. After her husband unexpectedly dies in her arms, 31-year-old mother of two Williford gets off the floor, turns to the process of grief, and brings us along.

17934693.jpg (258×400)

Already a writer, Williford uses her abilities to chronicle her journey through grief, from the first terrible moments to the day she is finally ready to let go and restart her life. She even pauses to give her readers some advice, whether they are encountering others who have lost loved ones or whether they are the ones who are hurting.

My mom died just a few months ago. It was also unexpected, although she was elderly and had some minor health problems. Still, I viscerally understand that feeling of--your loved one is just...gone. He or she is never coming back. Williford's emotions, thoughts, actions, are all so understandable to me, although the circumstances of my grief were different. She uses the pillars of support in her life well, from her band of close girlfriends to her therapist to the baristas at Starbucks, where she sought daily refuge.

I especially was moved by the letter she wrote to her newlywed self, giving her glimpses of what her life would hold during the 10 years she would have with her husband. I also felt the conversations she had with her young sons about their father's death were compelling, because they were marked with honesty. Kids need honesty.
.
What am I left with after reading this book? Exactly what I've felt since my own loss occurred: love your family every day. You don't know how long you have with them. Try to remember that when you get frustrated over things that, in the scope of eternity, do not matter. Williford did that during her marriage (although of course no marriage is perfect), and she has beautiful memories to draw from until she sees her husband again.

Interested in the book or the author? Go here.

I received this book free for review purposes from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for your thoughts and the honest review. I have numerous giveaways going on at my site if you want to hop over and check them out. Have a great weekend!

    Diane :)
    www.dianeestrella.com

    ReplyDelete